ENTERPRISE, Ala (WDHN)— With the holiday season in full swing, and Christmas just around the corner, it’s important to be cautious of possible dangers with the traditional Christmas tree.
The Enterprise Fire Department released tips on how to stay safe and fire-smart during the holiday season:
- Make sure your tree is at least three feet from any heat source such as a fireplace, heat vent, radiator, light, or candle.
- If it’s a live tree, remember to add water daily
- Read the manufacturer’s instructions for the number of light strands to connect
- Make sure to always turn off the Christmas tree lights before leaving the house or going to bed
- Once the holidays are over, or when your tree is dry and needles start falling off, you should remove it and place it on the curb.
When possible during regular routes the City of Enterprise Public Works Department will collect trees that are free of lights and decorations.
EFD Chief Brian Beasley says Christmas tree fires do not happen often, but when they occur, the fires can spread quickly and cause a significant amount of damage.
Dried out trees are a fire danger. Don’t leave them in your home,or garage and do not leave them propped up to the side of your home. Go ahead and take them straight to the curb and the city will collect them.Enterprise Fire Department Battalion Chief Brian Beasley