SLOCOMB, Ala. (WDHN) — Four adults and five children are without a permanent place to call home now after their mobile home was destroyed by fire.
Now, they are calling on the community for help not only financially but also physically.
The past weekend has been unimaginable for LaRhonda Burke and her family of nine after they lost their home on Friday.
But right now, her biggest concern is finding Ella Grace, her miniature schnauzer. Friday was the last day she laid eyes on her.
“Yeah we lost our home and camper, and my daughter’s car, but our dog is what is on everybody’s mind and hearts to get her home,” Burke said.
This comes after Slocomb first responders rushed to Burke’s home Friday on Mitchell Road where they found a mobile home, two cars, and an RV camper engulfed in flames.
Burke and three of her young granddaughters were in the house at the time. She said her first clue to get up was the smell of burning wires.
“I was going back and forth to windows and doors saying it’s really windy and people shouldn’t be burning out here, so I was trying to find smoke anywhere but didn’t see any,” She said. “And then I had my back door open and went to the front door and when I opened it the wind came through and I guess thats when it ignited.”
That’s when she grabbed her granddaughters and escaped the burning home.
With everything being a total loss, the Slocomb community has stepped up in a huge way.
Slocomb Dixie Youth Program created a GoFundMe page — raising over $4,000 so far. Burke has also received numerous food and furniture donations.
“The community has really rallied around us and we just appreciate it so much,” She ad
Burke said if you see her dog wandering around, she’ll be appreciative if you can contact her, or if you would like, you can bring her dog to one of her neighbors in this area.