DOTHAN, Ala (WDHN)— Calling all art lovers! The First Friday Art Crawl through Downtown Dothan is coming up, and it’s sure to draw a crowd.
The First Friday Art Crawl is a free monthly community event to showcase local artists and their talents. During these cultural strolls in the dusk, sightseers can walk downtown and find these virtuosos set up at different businesses.
The next crawl is on Friday, September 1, from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., and features 45 Wiregrass artists at 13 locations:
- Mural City Coffee Company (192 South Foster Street)
- Artists: Clarie Necessary
- Southern Strokes Art (102 South Cherokee Street)
- Artists: Mary and Mike Elliot, Granny Smith, Rachel Kurtz
- The Untrained Edit (1861-1 West Main Street)
- Artists: Amanda Hamrick, Kate Liu, Bower Bird Creations, Lynsey West, Lisa Reid
- Velvet Peach (102 South Cherokee Street)
- Artists: Madeline Sutton, Emery McKay
- West End Marketplace (1829 West Main Street Suite 2)
- Artists: Lindsay Roth
- The Raq (1861-1 West Main Street)
- Artists: Christian Hamrick, Space Potato Supply Co.
- Bushel + Peck Handcrafted (1861-1 West Main Street)
- Artists: Laura Moore
- RESET Mercantile (2407 Montgomery Highway Suite A)
- Artists: Brick House Tie-Dye
- Studio 280 (280 North Foster Street)
- Artists: Brittany Windham, Jacqueline Furlong, Cendi Stevens
- Well Rooted (1618 West Main Street)
- Artists: Panda Organics
- Green House Art Studio (300 Virginia Drive)
- Artists: Sharon Lewis-Saliba
- Circle City Brewing Company (135 North Foster Street)
- Artists: Matt Adams, Tracy Watson, Melissa Rezabek
- The Bells Gallery (1861-1 West Main Street)
- Artists: Aaron Beeson, Larkin Cook, Amy Cooper, Carolyn Cowper, Jenny Fine, Tasha Hyatt, Jeremy Hester, Kristen Hester, Robin Johnston, Jennifer McCohnell, Raven McDonald, Erin Merrill, Buck Meyers, Hayley Meyers, Laura Moore, Caleigh Parsons, Joy Alicia Raines, Neal Russler, Ethan Sawyer, Olivia Tawzer
The crawl is organized by Holly Meyers, curator of The Bells Gallery, a southern contemporary art gallery at The Untrained Edit. Per their Website, the Untrained Edit is a community in Downtown Dothan of artists, entrepreneurs, and dreamers dedicated to sharing their art with the Wiregrass and the world.
My overall goal is to create an arts ecosystem in the Wiregrass. Each location offers its own unique experience. Artists are popped up, showing and selling their art at all the locations. However, some locations also have live music and libations, while others have a live visual arts component. Truly, it’s a different vibe at each spotHolly Meyers
Meyers says that since its start in October 2022, the First Friday Art Crawls has hosted over 1700 visitors and, on average, has about 30 participating artists monthly.