SBI Meets with Family of Ulysses WIlkerson


WDHN has spoken with The Alabama Law Enforcement Agency who released a statement regarding Ulysses Wilkerson, the 17-year-old who was placed in the hospital after and encounter with Troy Police Department. The statement said that on Friday, January 5th, 2018, representatives from the Alabama State Bureau of Investigation and the Pike County District Attorney’s Office met with immediate family members, and their attorneys, of the juvenile who was arrested by the Troy Police Department on December 23rd, 2017. 

SBI’s standard practice is to meet with at least one member of the immediate family in all of its Use of Force type investigations, if at all possible. These meetings are to: introduce the family to the SBI representative thereby providing the family with an SBI point-of-contact, explain the investigative process to the family, and address questions and/or concerns of the family. In this case, an attorney representing the juvenile required, in writing, that all communication from SBI to the family be made through the attorney’s office. SBI complied with this request and awaited a date and time that agreed with the family and their attorneys.  

It is understandable for members of the family and other concerned citizens to have questions. It is SBI’s responsibility to collect, report and communicate all related facts in a properly legal manner so that the criminal justice system is best equipped to render a finding. SBI does not condone any premature releases of information that could jeopardize the rights of all involved parties and/or undermine the course of justice.

SBI welcomes more interaction with the family and the juvenile through their attorneys, as needed to ensure the family is kept as informed as possible, and to ensure that all related facts and evidence are documented.

WDHN was told that these types of investigations typically take around 60 days.  

WDHN has reached out to the family and is waiting to hear back for a statement regarding the meeting.  Sources told WDHN that the family does not know any more information now as they did prior to the meeting and that the family were not allowed to view the dash or body camera footage as they had requested, but it was confirmed that video does exists. Pastor Kenneth Glasgow, who is an advocate for the family, stated at a protest rally held December 30 across the street from the Troy Police Station that if body and dash camera footage was not released on January 5th that a national rally would be organized where “231 would be shut down.”  At this point in time, WDHN is not aware of any rallies planned by the advocate or family.

We will continue to update you as more information is released.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories