ALABAMA – Nine superintendents statewide are in the running for Alabama’s Superintendent of the Year.
The School Superintendents of Alabama released the list of nine finalists Monday:
- Dr. Kenneth Varner, Brewton City
- Jason Burroughs, Lowndes County
- Dr. Mark Bazzell, Pike County
- Dr. Mark Neighbors, Opelika City
- Dr. Walter Gonsoulin, Jefferson County
- Dr. Suzanne Lacey, Talladega County
- Jamie Chapman, Pickens County
- Dr. Jimmy Shaw, Florence City
- Kevin Dukes, Jackson County
The state winner, determined based on their career achievements and success in advancing public education, will be announced at the fall conference, slated for Oct. 11-13 at the Marriott Shoals in Florence.
The state winner will be honored with a Superintendent of the Year ring, a luncheon on January 11, 2022, during SSA’s Legislative Conference in Montgomery, and travel expenses to the National Conference on Education in Nashville.
Each state’s winner will be recognized and Alabama’s winner will receive a bronze medallion and plaque from AASA – The School Superintendent’s Association.
The national winner will be announced during the national conference, slated for Feb. 17-19, 2022.